Pages

Wednesday 22 January 2014

Welcome Doreen Vasquez ...

Our very first guest designer for 2014.

Hi, my name is Doreen!

Happy New Year to you!
I’m very excited to be a Guest Designer here at ARTastic!
I just discovered this blog in October of last year (2013) and so far it has been inspiring!

A little bit about me:
I reside in Southern CA and have lived her pratically all my life.
My husband and I bought a house just down the street from our high school!  Speaking of my husband, I have been married to the most handsome, caring, fabulous man (EVER), and the love of my life, David, since July 16, 2001.
I am the mother of 2 beautiful human babies: Joseph (18) and Madison (11) and 3 super adorable fur babies: Spotty (dog), Ivanna (dog) and Panini (cat). Actually, I am Panini’s “Grammy” as Panini belongs to my daughter…and believe me, she will not let me forget it! 

I started dabbling in scrapbooking 14 years ago, however, it turned into a serious hobby for me in 2005 when I discovered a scrapbook website that opened my eyes to new, fun techniques and allowed me to interact with other scrappers. Before then I knew nobody who scrapbooked! Can you imagine?!  About 4 years ago the hobby turned into an obsession when I discovered blogs, contests, and scrapbooking kit clubs!  I don't scrap chronologically, as I would rather scrap whatever subject I am "feeling" at the moment.  Luckily I have a variety of subjects to scrap!

I would categorize my style as clean and simple with a few twists thrown in!  For the most part I like to stick to my general style, but I do get bored with it at times and that’s when I try to add new techniques or products.  My latest obsessions are: washi tape, misting, and my hexagon punch, size=XL thank you very much! Hahaha!  My signature? I like outlining, or doodling as some call it,  each layer of items on my layouts to help them stand out. I don’t consider a page complete if there isn’t at least some kind of outlining on it!  I have even tried to let a page go without it and it caused me great anxiety! No joke!!

I will never be caught up since as much as I like to scrap I also love to take pictures!
For every new layout I create there's probably a dozen new pictures I have just taken!
But for me it’s not about being caught up, it’s about capturing as many memories for my family as I can and enjoying the process while doing it!

Thanks for having me!

If you get a chance, please come visit me over at my blog, "A Day In Doreena's Life": http://madijoes.blogspot.com/.

oh and a little about the layout I have done for January ARTastic ...

I love the inspiration piece so much; so unique and beautiful! The moment I saw it I knew 2 things: 1) I would use a black BG for my layout and 2) I would scrap a "selfie"; having been inspired by the fact that a woman's face was the main focal point of the picture.  The only thing that stumped me was how to incorporate the triangle/diamond shapes? Then I realized, in my selfie I am wearing an argyle sweater. How perfect is that! So using a stencil (you remember those, right?) I traced and cut out diamond and triangle shapes from PP that matched the colors of my sweater. I then glued each shape down in a complimentary pattern... and of course I outlined everything! ;0)  I think the picture I scrapped was completely meant for this challenge!

Here are some more layouts I have done recently ...




Thank you Doreen for being part of the team this month - so lovely to have you join us.

You still have time to upload your own take on this challenge.  We'd love to see what you can do with diamonds or triangles.

10 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for having me!!! I really enjoyed Guest Designing for you! Sorry I was such a "Chatty Cathy"! Yikes! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chatty! LOL Love your layout....am now going to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!! LOVING what everyone created!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic job! I would have been stumped with this inspiration piece, but you totally nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Doreen...what wonderful work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pages Doreen,love the " selfie" congrats with your DT spot this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Doreen. Your pages are fabulous. Love the background you have created for this month's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya Doreen. I like what you've done with the diamond pattern.

    ReplyDelete